A smoothie is one of the most delicious, nutritious and filling drinks ever invented. They are so popular for people of all ages that kids request it of their moms as a snack of choice before and after school. The most basic ingredient in a smoothie is fruit, but milk or yogurt added to it makes it smooth and creamy.
Even if you're still making your first few smoothies or have already tried a number of concoctions, these tips should help you make more perfect smoothies:
1. Check if your blender is still primed for smoothie making. If not, invest in a smoothie maker to make smoothie-making easier and cleaning quicker.
2. Always wash your fruit before blending them.
3. It's best to freeze the fruit/s you use beforehand, so your smoothie stays colder and thicker. Fresh fruits give a thinner, juice-like consistency to your smoothies, so if you like them that way, then don't bother freezing your fruit. Before freezing your bananas or melon, chop them into pieces and spread these on a plate so they won't freeze into one big lump.
4. If you're looking to make healthier smoothies, substitute. The most common substitute used in smoothies is low fat yogurt for ice cream. You can also use soy milk instead of regular milk. Instead of refined sugar, use honey to sweeten. Adding more water instead of milk also reduces the calories in your smoothie.
5. You can make your smoothies more nutritious by adding wheat germ, protein powder, or brewer's yeast.
6. For thicker smoothies, add more ice cubes or more fruit into your mixture.
7. While smoothies are best taken right after preparation, they can still be frozen for about three days and consumed then. For smoothies that you need to grab on-the-go, make them ahead of time and freeze them. Make sure you don't fill the container the whole way since smoothies will expand when freezing.
8. If you're still using a regular blender to make your recipe, add liquids to the blender first so they don't bind the frozen fruit and get it stuck. It is for this reason that smoothie makers are preferred for making smoothies.
9. Nutritional supplements like whey protein, flaxseed oil, wheatgerm and wheatgrass powder make smoothies more nutritionally beneficial. Whey protein provides energy, helps repair muscles and bones, enhances memory and aids in weight loss. Flaxseed has fiber and Omega 3 fatty acids. Both supplements keep the stomach full longer. Wheatgerm is a good source of fiber, Vitamin E and folic acid while wheatgrass powder is a good source of chlorophyll that is also nutritionally beneficial.
10. Green smoothies are one of the best methods of consuming your daily servings of fruit and vegetables. Leafy greens are naturally rich in nutrients but low in calories. Spinach, lettuce and kale may be used for your green smoothie recipe. Green smoothies are ideal for those seeking to lose weight because they control the body's hunger longer.
Drink up for health! Blend your own smoothies!
Last but not least, you should check out a Vita Mix blender if you want to become healthier, and be sure to read this post called " Vitamix coupon codes."
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Emile_Neumeier